Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Melodic ambitions

Often, I spend a great deal of time brainstorming the potential focal point of my blogposts. But today's post did not require that much of thought, for I decided to muse on an immensely cherished element of my mundane life: music.

Since I was young, music has played an instrumental role in my life (no pun intended...maybe). Whether it be in the form of music I dance to, music that I play myself, or music that I enjoy listening to, the consonance of rhythmic melodies, seamlessly weaving in and out of each other, is ineffably pacifying to me.

*Experiencing Writer's Block*
*Experiencing Writer's Block*
*Experiencing Writer's Block*
*Experiencing Writer's Block*
*Experiencing Writer's Block*
*Experiencing Writer's Block*
*Experiencing Writer's Block*

But what truly propelled me to be penning this post today, is the universality of the language of music. Much like mathematics, music can be deemed as a universal language, for theory and notations of music remain the same, regardless of what part of the world one is in. Musical collaborations can exist between artists from distinct cultures only because they share between them the language of music. In this essence, music almost acts as a binding force in humanity with the force of the musical language being such that it transcends all linguistic and cultural thresholds. Moreover, while important musical syntax does buttress the language, the language grants one enough of a creative license to catalyze its evolution through bursts of originality.

On that note, I feel compelled to share in this space two of my favourite pianists, who have greatly inspired me to continue playing the piano. The first pianist would indubitably be Yiruma, a renowned South Korean pianist and composer, while the second artist is Ludovico Einaudi, an eminent Italian pianist and composer. The two-different-ends-of-a-spectrum cultural identities of these two famed artists itself is a reflection of the solidarity of music. I may identify as a Canadian, but my favourite pianists identify as a South Korean and an Italian. Yiruma and Einaudi both continue to play sold out concerts in every corner of the globe, only because the plausibility of a language barrier is ousted by the gracefully syncopated rhythms they contrive. Their concerts do not necessitate verbal communication, but communication through the soulful cadences of music.

For some reason, I seem to be struggling to articulate my genuine appreciation for the musical realm. Perhaps that is why words are not always the most agreeable means of embellishing thoughts. Perhaps music is that one aperture that can convey the most profound emotions sans utterance.

Thanks to my enlightening experiences as an IB learner, and the concomitant appreciation I have gained of being a risk taker, I shall now take a moment to blatantly promote myself in a recent musical venture that I have embarked upon!


Thanks for reading! Thanks for watching! 

No comments:

Post a Comment